In 1869 the residents of Fitzroy North, supported by their local council, petitioned the Board of Education for the land to be secured in an effort to establish a school. Opened in 1875, Fitzroy North Primary School, or Alfred Crescent School as it was known, has since enjoyed the close links to the community from which it was founded.
Since the very earliest days, the school established a reputation for advancing equity and social justice, fighting to improve conditions for the benefit of all children who attend. In the late nineteenth century this encompassed seemingly trivial requests for a table to furnish a classroom to the fundamental right of all children in the locality to be welcomed to the school.
Today, Fitzroy North Primary School is proud of its history, and looks to continue the legacy of progressive thinking that established the school in the first place.